We’ve all probably heard of Diatomaceous Earth before, but you may not know exactly what it is, what it can be used for, and how to use it. In this article I’m going to answer all of your Diatomaceous earth questions!
What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous Earth is a fine white powder made from the fossilized remains of very small aquatic organisms known as Diatoms. The skeletons of Diatoms are made from a natural compound called silica. Over a long period of time these silica skeletons accumulate in the bottom of rivers, creeks, lakes, and various oceans.
Silica is a fairly common resource that makes up more that 25% of the earths crust. It doesn’t occur naturally in a raw form though. It appears in different forms like quartz, emerald, and sand.
Silicon is a resource found in silica. Silicon reacts with water and oxygen to create Silicon Dioxide. Silicon Dioxide is now used as a pesticide known as Diatomaceous Earth. This is where we get into what it can be used for.
What can Diatomaceous Earth be used for?
Diatomaceous Earth is one of the most powerful and easy to use pesticides out there. It can be used anywhere and kills a large variety of pest such as fleas, ticks, bed bugs, ants, roaches, and spiders.
There are plenty of other uses for Diatomaceous Earth such as toothpaste, Facial scrub, and deodorant. I personally haven’t used diatomaceous earth for anything but killing fleas but if you want to try something new go for it! Just do some research first!
How to use Diatomaceous Earth for Fleas
2. The second thing you’re going to want to do is vacuum your carpet. This isn’t absolutely necessary but it will remove as many fleas as possible before covering your floor in the DE.
3. After you’re done vacuuming go ahead and spread the Diatomaceous Earth in a light layer across your carpeting or tile.
4. Leave the Diatomaceous Earth in your carpet for at least a day to ensure the fleas die. If you want to make absolutely sure that they are dead you can leave the Diatomaceous Earth in your carpeting for 3 days.
5. Once its been sitting for between 1 and 3 days go ahead and vacuum it up.
6. I don’t suggest doing this only once you should definitely reapply the diatomaceous earth over the next month or two to make sure the fleas are all taken care of. If you have pets I highly recommend using a flea applicator on their fur to get rid of any fleas on them.
Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth
- Its a safe alternative for harmful chemicals such as sprays. Its safe to use around pets and humans.
- It covers a large area so it can take out massive numbers of fleas.
- Its available just about anywhere.
- It can be put in your pets food (as long as its food grade and used in small amounts) to help prevent hip problems. Its also great for de-worming.
- You can apply Diatomaceous Earth to your pets fur to help kill and prevent fleas.
Where can I buy Diatomaceous Earth?
You can buy diatomaceous earth at any large convenience store such as Walmart or any local gardening store. If you don’t want to go to out and look for some you can just order it off Amazon here.
When buying Diatomaceous earth make sure its food grade. You can buy food grade here as well.
Question or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns involving Diatomaceous earth or fleas please feel free to message us using our contact page. Fleas can be tricky to deal with and every situation is different. Feel free to check out our other articles or some of the flea treatment products below.