When looking for ways to get rid of fleas borax is something you’ve probably heard of. There’s a lot of talk about it being really bad to use and some talk of it being safe to use. What should we believe?
I’m going to clarify to the best of my ability how to use borax, what it is, should you use it, and is it really bad for your health?
What is Borax?
Borax is a natural chemical that can commonly be found in tooth paste, hand soap, and used as a detergent booster. The scientific name is Sodium Borate. It is the salt form of boric acid. It is one of the most important boron compounds.
It’s completely harmless to humans and can be used for various different reasons such as:
- Laundry Booster
- Household Cleaner
- Water Softening Agent
- Food additive (Used as a preservative)
- Insect Killer
Does Borax Kill Fleas?
Borax is a very effective method of killing fleas. It works very similarly to diatomaceous earth. Fleas breath it in and they become severely dehydrated as the borax absorbs all moisture in their bodies.
Not only will it dehydrate them but the crystals are small enough to where they are razor sharp to fleas and when inhaled it will definitely kill them.
Diatomaceous Earth works in the exact same way. Borax is probably a little easier to find though. Diatomaceous earth is just the fossilized remains of small aquatic creatures called diatoms. Its completely natural as well. If you want more information on Diatomaceous earth please read my article here.
It’s readily available at most convenience stores. If you can’t find it you can buy it here.
Is Borax Dangerous to Humans?
Borax is a natural flea kill and scientist have yet to prove its dangerous. Though on the boxes it says avoid contact with your eyes and avoid consumption. You would think both of these are common sense though.
I have read that if borax is inhaled it can cause respiratory irritation. This makes sense because the borax powder is actually really sharp. Be careful when using it just in case. Try wearing a protective mask to keep from inhaling.
My answer though is No, Borax is not dangerous to humans when being used as a flea killer. Its highly effective for killing fleas and isn’t dangerous so I recommend using it if you see it in the store or have some lying around the house. Make sure though you wear a protective mask and avoid contact with your eyes. Borax is perfectly safe as long as you are cautious.
How to use Borax
Since borax is a powder its really easy to use. Just spread the borax around the house on your carpet, and wood tile floors. Once it covers all the infected areas leave it for a few hour.
Usually I leave it between 3 and 6 hours. If you have a really deep carpet try using a broom and brushing over the carpet to help the borax sink in. This can kill any fleas that a buried deep in your carpeting.
Once its sat for long enough you can just vacuum it up. Continue doing this daily until you no longer find fleas in your home.